Current:Home > FinanceEthermac|Former model sues Sean 'Diddy' Combs, claims he drugged, sexually assaulted her in 2003 -Capitatum
Ethermac|Former model sues Sean 'Diddy' Combs, claims he drugged, sexually assaulted her in 2003
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 06:01:37
Embattled music mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs has been accused of drugging and Ethermacsexually assaulting a young model in the early 2000s.
In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, Crystal McKinney alleges Diddy, then 34, assaulted the 22-year-old model at his New York City studio in 2003 and forced her to perform oral sex.
McKinney also claims the hip-hop icon derailed her career by having her “blackballed” in the modeling industry, despite earlier promising to help her professionally. The ordeal purportedly led to a decline in McKinney’s mental health, including “bouts of depression, anxiety, body image issues, feelings of worthlessness and intimacy issues.”
In recent months, Combs, 54, has faced a series of sexual assault lawsuits alleging he raped or sexually assaulted multiple women over the past few decades. In March, his Los Angeles home was raided by Homeland Security Investigations agents, reportedly in connection with an ongoing sex trafficking investigation in New York.
McKinney, who is described as a “woman of faith,” said she felt a “moral obligation” to come forward with her experience after seeing media coverage of Diddy's legal woes.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
McKinney “prayed to God before bringing this lawsuit, as she feared further violence and/or retaliation from Defendant Combs, but ultimately decided that she needed to speak her truth,” the lawsuit reads. She “seeks justice for herself" and other alleged victims of Combs.
Combs’ companies Bad Boy Records, Sean John Clothing and Universal Music Group are also named as defendants in the case.
USA TODAY has reached out to representatives for McKinney and Combs for comment.
Crystal McKinney details alleged sexual assault by Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs
In the lawsuit, McKinney claims she met Combs after being invited to a Men’s Fashion Week event at New York City restaurant Cipriani Downtown by an unnamed fashion designer.
During the dinner, Combs allegedly “made a very public display of coming on to (McKinney) in a sexually suggestive manner” and plied McKinney with alcohol “as he repeatedly refilled her glass with wine.”
Per McKinney’s filing, the music mogul also told the model he was going to help advance her career and gave McKinney his phone number “as a gesture of good faith.” McKinney won MTV’s Model Mission contest in 1998 and had previously modeled for Tommy Hilfiger.
Combs invited McKinney to visit his studio later that night, according to the lawsuit, where she smoked marijuana with the “Hello Good Morning” rapper and his associates. McKinney alleges the marijuana joint “felt very powerful” and that it had been laced with “a narcotic or other intoxicating substance.”
Shortly afterward, Combs allegedly led McKinney to the bathroom, the filing states. After Combs forced himself onto her and kissed her “without her consent,” McKinney claims Combs “shoved her head down to his crotch” and forced her to perform oral sex.
Following the alleged assault, McKinney began to feel increasingly “woozy” and subsequently lost consciousness, per the complaint. The model later awoke inside a taxicab that drove her back to the fashion designer’s apartment.
Crystal McKinney says Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs ‘blackballed’ her in modeling industry after alleged assault
McKinney claims in the lawsuit that she was “blackballed” following her alleged assault by Diddy, as her “modeling opportunities quickly began to dwindle and then evaporated entirely.”
The model says she found herself in a “tailspin of anxiety and depression,” per the filing, which resulted in a hospitalization for a suicide attempt around 2004.
“Combs’ assault has altered the trajectory of (McKinney’s) career, denying her a successful and lucrative career in the modeling and film industries,” the lawsuit reads.
McKinney has also reportedly suffered from alcohol and drug addiction, as well as intimacy issues, as a result of Combs’ alleged assault, according to the former model’s complaint.
The lawsuit was filed under New York's Victims of Gender-Motivated Violence Protection Law, which created a two-year lookback window for survivors of gender-motivated violence to seek legal action against their abusers, regardless of when the abuse took place.
McKinney is demanding a jury trial for the case. She is also seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for the “mental and emotional injury, distress, pain and suffering, and injury to her reputation.”
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, USA TODAY
If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence, RAINN’s National Sexual Assault Hotline offers free, confidential, 24/7 support to survivors and their loved ones in English and Spanish at: 800-656-HOPE (4673) and Hotline.RAINN.org and en Español RAINN.org/es.
veryGood! (1751)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Kelsea Ballerini and Chase Stokes Are Feeling Obsessed at TIME100 Next 2023 Red Carpet Event
- Things to know about the NBA season: Lots of money, lots of talent, lots of stats
- Video shows Florida man finding iguana in his toilet: 'I don't know how it got there'
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Loyalty above all: Removal of top Chinese officials seen as enforcing Xi’s demand for obedience
- Man trapped in jewelry vault overnight is freed when timer opens the chamber as scheduled
- The US is sharing hard lessons from urban combat in Iraq and Syria as Israel prepares to invade Gaza
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Kelsea Ballerini and Chase Stokes Are Feeling Obsessed at TIME100 Next 2023 Red Carpet Event
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- California Gov. Newsom has rare friendly exchange with China’s senior diplomat Wang Yi
- See the 'ghost' caught on video at a historic New England hotel: 'Skeptic' owners uneasy
- A manufacturing company in Ohio has found success with a 4-day workweek
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- FDA says the decongestant in your medicine cabinet probably doesn't work. Now what?
- NYU student, criticized and lost job offer for Israel-Hamas remarks, speaks out
- Are I Bonds a good investment? Shake-up in rates changes the answer (a little)
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Sam Bankman-Fried will testify in his own defense, lawyers say
Bee pollen for breast growth went viral, but now TikTokers say they're paying the price
Anger boils in Morocco’s earthquake zone as protesters demand promised emergency aid
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Watch 'Dancing with the Stars' pros pay emotional tribute to late judge Len Goodman
Wisconsin wildlife officials to vote new on wolf management plan with no population goal
California Gov. Newsom has rare friendly exchange with China’s senior diplomat Wang Yi